Baby is coming! Rather than moving, add an extension to your home

At the birth of a child, it can happen that one feels a little cramped at home. No stress, there is a way to "push the walls" and gain in volume: the home extension. How to proceed ? What are the rules to follow ? Check it out.

A -  Home extension: an alternative to moving

If you and your small family (which has just grown) are in need of m², playing the house extension card will save you from having to buy bigger and move. Several solutions are available to you depending on the type of extension you choose: transform a garage into a home, raise your home, develop the attic, have a veranda, dig into the foundations of your home to increase - by "disbursement »- available space, build an independent dwelling ...

B -  How much does an home extension cost?

It is difficult to accurately quantify the cost of the work that requires the arrival of a baby with the extension of your home. And for good reason, the budget will vary depending on the materials used, the complexity of the site, the destination (storage, home ...) of the room that will be created and the gain - in m² - desired. As an indication, however, know that to arrange your attic, it will cost, on average, between $300 and $ 1000 m². In the case of a house elevation, count from 1000 to 1500 $ per m². For a PVC veranda of 20 m², your budget should be between $10,000 and $20,000. If it is a "horizontal" extension, which you want, having a room adjoining your home will cost you between 1,000 and 1,500 $ per m² depending on the material (brick, wood) on which you have set your heart. Lastly, in the case of cellar development, the most frequently quoted prices range from 1,500 to 2,000 $ per m².

C - House extension: what are the formalities to follow?

If you have the extension of your house, different steps will have to be taken depending on the size and impact of the work done. In an area covered by urban design regulations, no administrative procedure will have to be performed if the gain in area of ​​your extension does not exceed 5 m² and the appearance of your home remains unchanged. Otherwise, or if the extension results in a gain of space between 5 m² and 20 m², your site must be the subject of a prior declaration of work. Finally, a building permit will be required if, after work, the total area of ​​your home exceeds 150 m² or the extension work has made you gain more than 20 m². In an area not covered by a UDR, a building permit will be compulsory only from 40 m² gain. Finally, different regulations will apply depending on the area you have won. If the total area envisaged after the completion of your extension works exceeds 150 m² (or 170 m² for any application for a building permit that was filed before March 1, 2017), you will be obliged to use an architect.